Monday, June 23, 2008

Scotland - Spring Holiday Part 5 of 5

After touching down in Edinburgh late one Sunday night we woke up to the brightest, warmest, sunniest day of the trip! And the good weather continued for the remaining 8 days Jess and Andrew spent in the UK. They seemed to have accidentally packed up the warm weather and taken it home with them too. I think it may be still lost somewhere in Beijing Airport.
But back to Scotland... So we hired a car and spent a glorious three days driving around the strangely sunny Scottish countryside. We made our leisurely way across to the west coast via Stirling and a night in Culcreuch Castle. This was part of Andrews birthday present from me. I was hoping for something for a bit more grand and incredible, but it seemed a bit more run down and in need of a "Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmare" make over. All the same it was lovely and I think Andrew enjoyed it too. We then had a night in the pretty "Scottish resort" town of Oban. I'm not too sure what Scottish people do on holiday but I am pretty sure it does not include immersing themselves in the sea water. My pushy big sister got me to dip my feet in and see how long I could hold them in. After my feet turned blue and the onset of frost bite kicked in I pulled them out. There is not a chance in all hell I would get in that water. Next day we headed east back towards Edinburgh through the pretty tourist town of Falkirk where we finally got our fix of scones. After dropping off the car in Edinburgh the next day we headed back to London where we spent the next few days showing Jess and Andrew our favourite bits, sweating (not just on the tube) and cooling off with a Pimms. It was very sad to say goodbye to Jess and Andrew but we had such a great time. Thanks heaps for sharing and making our adventure so much fun guys!!

Stirling Castle, notice the chavs in the corners.

Beautiful hand painted wall paper from our room in Culreuch Castle

The castle grounds

On the shores of Loch Lomand

Oban



I think Andrew was more excited about this castle. It was pretty cool.

*
10 million Londoners trying to keep cool in the "Heatwave" of 27 degrees!!

Farewells

*Photo taken by Ms Jessica Strickland

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alltogether now!

O you’ll tak’ the high road and I’ll tak’ the low road
And I’ll be in Scotland afore ye
For me and my true love will ne-er meet again
On the bonnie, bonnie banks o’ Loch Lomond

Happy birthday

June 27, 2008 at 8:07 AM  
Blogger petra michelle; Whose role is it anyway? said...

Happened upon your blog. Thoroughly enjoyed your travel photos; I feel as thouogh I've visited these parts through them. But those of Scotland brought back wonderful memories, as I lived in Edinburgh many years ago. I was amazed at how many castles. Inverness was probably one of my favorites. Thank you. Petra

July 4, 2008 at 4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home